Blog News

1. Comments are still disabled though I am thinking of enabling them again.

2. There are now several extra pages - Poetry Index, Travel, Education, Childish Things - accessible at the top of the page. They index entires before October 2013.

3. I will, in the next few weeks, be adding new pages with other indexes.

Thursday 31 December 2009

Krak des Chevaliers

This morning the episode of Great Railway Journeys that was shown was the one where Alexei Sayle travels from Aleppo to Aqaba. In his opening remarks, when he showed a map, he mentioned Krak des Chevaliers and, as it's a very impressive place, I waited for that section keenly. It came and went so briefly that I almost missed it, being barely mentioned in passing. So I thought that I would redress the balance.
For anyone who doesn't know, Krak des Chevaliers is a crusader fortress in Syria. I visited it and slept in the grounds when I was travelling around Northern Africa in 2001. Here a few representative pictures. Sorry that the scans aren't great. My scanner is on its last legs.












No comments: