Blog News

1. Comments are still disabled though I am thinking of enabling them again.

2. There are now several extra pages - Poetry Index, Travel, Education, Childish Things - accessible at the top of the page. They index entires before October 2013.

3. I will, in the next few weeks, be adding new pages with other indexes.

Sunday 19 February 2012

China: A Day In The Life Part 4

The next poem is both a description of my walk to school and an experiment in form. The verses are each in the form of a Fib which is syllable counting poem. The usual form is a poem of six lines with syllable count 1/1/2/3/5/8. This is called the Fibonacci sequence - a numerical sequence where each number is the sum of the two preceding ones.
Mine isn't quite in this form as I only have one one-syllabled line at the start.

From Here To There

Like
Alice
I fall down
a deep dark tunnel
and into a strange wonderland.

Street
vendors
with strange fruits
stare at my face's
unfamiliar symmetry.

Steps
lead up
and over
and into the park:
market traders lay out their stalls.

Slow
dancers,
quick, quick, slow,
throughout the morning:
pedestrians weave between them.

Swords
shimmer
in bright arcs,
above and around
synchronised morning warriors.

School
awaits
 my coming,
anticipates me
with a thousand shrieking hellos.