Blog News

1. Comments are still disabled though I am thinking of enabling them again.

2. There are now several extra pages - Poetry Index, Travel, Education, Childish Things - accessible at the top of the page. They index entires before October 2013.

3. I will, in the next few weeks, be adding new pages with other indexes.

Saturday 30 October 2010

I'm in the wrong game

For the last three days I've had a skip parked outside my house which I have gradually filled with all kinds of rubbish. In three days fifteen scrap dealers have pulled up and clambered over it looking for the tiniest pieces of metal. I know that in this recession lots of people are out of work and have become part of the black economy and I'd be astonished if any of those dealers are running proper businesses and paying proper taxes but fifteen?

Can there really be enough money in collecting scrap metal from other people's skips?
If there is, I think I'm in the wrong line of work.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A scenery to be seen here, dayin, dayout.

Please have a good Sunday.

daily athens

Cat Herself said...

In the neighborhood where I work, houses are broken into so that people can steal copper pipes from the plumbing. I've seen people stripping aluminum siding off their own houses (and other people's) to sell for scrap. Many of the people who are doing the stealing and stripping are drug addicts, so any bit of money they can get goes to furthering their addiction. Very sad, really.