Blog News

1. Comments are still disabled though I am thinking of enabling them again.

2. There are now several extra pages - Poetry Index, Travel, Education, Childish Things - accessible at the top of the page. They index entires before October 2013.

3. I will, in the next few weeks, be adding new pages with other indexes.

Wednesday 24 September 2008

Logging on

I overheard a very interesting snippet of conversation as I was walking into town from work tonight. There were two teenage girls and a teenage boy and they had clearly been arguing about something. The argument seemed to be at an end and one of the girls, pointing at the boy, was shouting at the other girl.

"Dat conversation's done. Done. Dat conversation's over. Why you keep loggin' on to him?"

From the context I'd guess it means, "starting to interact with him again".

I thought it was an interesting usage. I wonder if it's a common bit of teen language that has somehow passed me by or was some bit of idiolect peculiar to this one girl.

A google search for the phrase "logging on to him" produced only two hits, neither especially relevant, and I couldn't think of a way to search for "logging on to her" which eliminated the thousands of her account/her computer/her etc constructions. So, if it is a piece of emerging slang, it's very, very new. I suspect it isn't. I suspect it's a bit of private slang between those particular people and their friends.

Either way it's a fascinating, and bizarre, yet somehow logical, extension of the normal usage.

No comments: