Blog News

1. Comments are still disabled though I am thinking of enabling them again.

2. There are now several extra pages - Poetry Index, Travel, Education, Childish Things - accessible at the top of the page. They index entires before October 2013.

3. I will, in the next few weeks, be adding new pages with other indexes.

Sunday 28 March 2010

Harder and Heavier (with added PVC)

(One of those reviews that I don't do.)

When I last saw Toyah at the Robin she was wearing very little. She did the whole set dressed in a rather revealing basque. Very nice it was too. Last night she was wearing more - a skin tight black PVC outfit with a four inch wide red rubber belt. Somehow it was even more revealing than the basque. Forgive me for a moment while I just try to recall the detail.

Ah, that’s better.

OK. What about the music? She did a set that was half and half songs drawn from her extensive back catalogue and covers of her own personal favourites. The back catalogue ran all the way from 1979’s Sheep Farming in Barnet to 2008’s Court of the Crimson Queen and the covers included everything from Alice Cooper to Cameo, Billy Idol to Guns’n’Roses, the Cult to the Osmonds. When she sang Nancy Sinatra’s “These Boots Are Made For Walking” and reached the lyric “One of these days, these boots are gonna walk all over you” there probably wasn’t a bloke in the house not thinking “I wish”.
Let me just consider that outfit again.

The arrangements and the band performances were harder and heavier than usual, solidly moulding all these disparate songs into a unified whole. They rattled through it without any wasted time in as fine a rock performance as I’ve seen for some time. The band were all excellent though the focus was obviously on Toyah’s own dynamic performance at the front. She is every bit as energetic and enthralling now as when I first saw her thirty years ago, and in even better voice. Not to mention even better shape.

It’s hard to believe just how long I’ve been going to Toyah gigs and she’s never disappointed and though her style has become more mainstream rock over the years it’s just moved right along with her audience’s personal tastes. Let’s hope that she’s back at the Robin again before too long.

I must go have a lie down now and think some more about that outfit.

No comments: