Blog News

1. Comments are still disabled though I am thinking of enabling them again.

2. There are now several extra pages - Poetry Index, Travel, Education, Childish Things - accessible at the top of the page. They index entires before October 2013.

3. I will, in the next few weeks, be adding new pages with other indexes.

Friday 4 November 2011

China: A Mystery Solved

I know that I am much older than my fellow teacher at Baiyin Middle
School number 10 but I have been puzzled by the number of times I have
been introduced to people who have assumed me to be his father.

This week the mystery was solved when yet another person did it. In
the course of the dinner conversation she referred to me as his father
and we examined the reason closely. It seems that when some introduces
us they say "This is Michael and this is Bob" but they are not hearing
Bob as my name - instead they are hearing "baba" which is Chinese for
father.

Mystery solved.

In my next post I shall tell you all about my day teaching
demonstration lessons at two other schools.