Blog News

1. Comments are still disabled though I am thinking of enabling them again.

2. There are now several extra pages - Poetry Index, Travel, Education, Childish Things - accessible at the top of the page. They index entires before October 2013.

3. I will, in the next few weeks, be adding new pages with other indexes.

Sunday 7 October 2012

KTFV

I've talked about KTV before. It's one of the standard ways in which Chinese people amuse themselves. For those who may have forgotten my previous post KTV is a kind of Karaoke but the difference is that you hire a private room, go in with your party and sing KTV to each other - nobody but your friends to see (or hear) you. I have a new question about it though. Why do so many Chinese people seem to get so much enjoyment out of something they are so bad at? Now I have no illusions about my own singing voice. Frankly it's awful. I couldn't carry a tune in a bucket but compared to the friends who yook us last night I am Pavarotti, Freddie Mercury and Elvis Presley rolled into one. The hideous racket that ensued whenever one of our CHinese friends took the microphone was like the wailing of damned souls in the lowest pits of hell.
Now I do know a couple of people here who can actually sing, whose songs may be incomrehensible because of the language barrier but who can, nevertheless, belt out a decent, entertaining tune in a close approximation to the original. They weren't there last night. Instead we were at the opposite end of the scale. It's good of them to invite us but, on the whole, I'd prefer a less painful evening out. Say a root canal filling.