Blog News

1. Comments are still disabled though I am thinking of enabling them again.

2. There are now several extra pages - Poetry Index, Travel, Education, Childish Things - accessible at the top of the page. They index entires before October 2013.

3. I will, in the next few weeks, be adding new pages with other indexes.

Friday 1 October 2010

Interim

There haven't been many posts recently and won't be for a while because of a family bereavement.
Sorting out the arrangements is a long and difficult process and is occupying most of my time.
However, just to keep things ticking over a bit, I'd like to mention two items that, though perhaps a touch macabre, raised a smile at a difficult time.

First of all there is the sign outside the doors at the Hospital, in an area where people congregate to smoke.

"Please do not smoke in this area. This is a hospital for treating sick people."

That presumably is as opposed to the other kind of hospital that treats healthy people.

The second was in the brochure at the funeral directors. There are of course many kinds of coffin (or casket as they prefer to call them) including, to my surprise, metal ones. The description of the metal ones included "unsuitable for cremations". No kidding! Apparently, and I know because I asked, there are some customers who don't realise that metal doesn't burn as easily as wood.

A third thing, which I've just thought of, and which would certainly have amused my Dad happened when I was returning from a walk around the street informing some of the neighbours. There are two kids, aged about six, who are always riding their bikes about. One of the rode up to me and very solemnly ask "Is that right, Bob's died?"

Be assured I will be back later.

2 comments:

arnie said...

I'm glad to learn you're finding some things to smile about, Bob.

Actually, an earlier use of hospital was a place that looked after the poor and needy - often like an old folk's home. There's the well-known Chelsea Hospital with its Chelsea Pensioners, and in my neck of the woods there used to be the Greenwich Hospital which was built for retired sea-dogs. It later became the Royal Naval College, and then part of Greenwich University.

Cat Herself said...

Bittersweet stories for sure. Thanks for sharing them. I, too, am glad you're finding some smiles.