Blog News

1. Comments are still disabled though I am thinking of enabling them again.

2. There are now several extra pages - Poetry Index, Travel, Education, Childish Things - accessible at the top of the page. They index entires before October 2013.

3. I will, in the next few weeks, be adding new pages with other indexes.

Tuesday 12 October 2010

Normal Service

It's been a difficult couple of weeks.
I had no idea that there was so much to do when someone dies. From important stuff like applying for probate to release anything left in a will to the utterly inane trivial stuff like getting a TV license now that there is no one in the household eligible for a free pensioner's license. There are banks to be dealt with and insurance companies to be notified. There are pensions organisations and public registries. There are funeral directors and ministers to talk to.
It seems endless.
But eventually you get it done. It's done now. The funeral service was yesterday and I think we managed to send my father off in a style that would have made him proud. So many people turned up that the church, admittedly a small one, needed to put out extra seating. We had chosen some music for his service - the March of the Highland Light Infantry - his old regiment - to play him into the service and one of his old favourites, the Yellow Rose of Texas, to play him out. It left slightly bemused smiles on the faces of the congregation but I'd rather they remember him with a happy song than a sad one.

Anyway it all went as well as these occasions possibly can. And, as I think I've completed all the other needful tasks, it is now effectively over, leaving me all alone in the house to just reflect.

For the service we included a short poem that I had written for the occasion. It's rather more conventional and sentimental that I usually write and, if I'm honest, reads a bit like a verse from a sympathy card, but I'd like to share it anyway.

There is never enough time
For all the things we want to say,
And always people ask,
"Another hour. Another Day."
But when all the days are gone 
We should not live in regret
For those who have departed
Survive within us yet
And the words that went unspoken
Are written in each heart
Where those we loved can see the
For we never are apart.

And those are the last words I intend to commit to this blog regarding my late father except to add that I shall miss arguing with him about everything. It's going to be far too quiet around here from now on but I think it would be better not to spend too much time dwelling on it.

And I intend to return to my  more usual postings very very soon now. As soon as I have something to say.

1 comment:

Cat Herself said...

A very good poem, if you ask me. Thank you for sharing it. I'm glad you got all the paperwork and red-tape tamed. Hugs to you.