Blog News

1. Comments are still disabled though I am thinking of enabling them again.

2. There are now several extra pages - Poetry Index, Travel, Education, Childish Things - accessible at the top of the page. They index entires before October 2013.

3. I will, in the next few weeks, be adding new pages with other indexes.

Saturday 16 October 2010

Trailers

Last night I saw a trailer for the new Channel Four series, The Pillars of the Earth, a drama about the building of a cathedral in 12th century England. Now it's convention for trailers that you put your best bits in so that you attract viewers. If the dialogue on offer here represented the best bits heaven help us when we get to see the worst bits. 
"England has been steeped in blood for sixteen years" pronounced one character sententiously.
"You have been consorting with a married woman." thundered another.
"God's work does not blend with anarchy!" declared a third.

There was even a "why hast thou forsaken me" and a "God is on our side".

If these bits of clichéd nonsense are typical I shall be very happy not to watch the rest.

4 comments:

Cat Herself said...

When I see trailers that give me that reaction, I generally assume I'm not in the target audience. Sounds awful.

Susan L said...

Interesting. I have been watching the Cadfael mysteries of late and reading about "The Anarchy." I wonder what cathedral it is they are building. Do you know?
Bad dialogue aside, this might be one for me. I like this sort of history wrapped around a singular event such as the lengthy building of a cathedral.

Bob Hale said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bob Hale said...

It doesn't say in the TV guide. I get the impression it's a fictional one. It says

"The building of a cathedral in 12th century England doesn't sound like the basis of a gripping drama series...

Adapted from Ken Follett's novel, this spectacular epic is set in a time of bloodshed, sexual intrigue, corruption and witch hunts."