Blog News

1. Comments are still disabled though I am thinking of enabling them again.

2. There are now several extra pages - Poetry Index, Travel, Education, Childish Things - accessible at the top of the page. They index entires before October 2013.

3. I will, in the next few weeks, be adding new pages with other indexes.

Tuesday 16 November 2010

Ongoing #71

First the poem.
I'll dissect it later.

Alice waking, Alice sleeping,
Alice laughing, Alice weeping,
Alice singing, Alice dancing,
Alice fleeing and advancing,
Alice trying, Alice failing,
Alice healthy, Alice ailing,
Alice wanting, Alice needing,
Alice broken, Alice bleeding,
Alice falling, Alice flying,
Alice living, Alice dying.
Alice through the looking glass.
Alice in the underpass.


I have no idea if anyone will like this poem or not but I would like to talk about what it means and how it came to be written. 
Part, perhaps the major part, of what a poet does is to make connections. Each poem is in itself an attempt to connect the poet's experience with the experience of the reader. More than that though, the actual construction of a poem is an exercise in connections an many different levels. On the purely structural level there are the connections of the words to form rhythms and rhymes. There is the connection of lines to form verses and verses to form complete poems. But that's all purely mechanical. The real connection is the connection of ideas. The humblest limerick usually starts with a couple of lines which are joined by lines three and four to a twisting or subversion of the idea in line five. The greatest of poems link ideas in subtle and interesting ways. One of my favourite poems is Elegy Written In A Country Churchyard by Thomas Gray. Whenever I read it I wish that I could write that well, hope that one day I shall write something so nearly perfect. The beauty of the poem to me is the reality of the way that it links the ideas of life and death.

I don't pretend that my poem above has any such merit, perhaps no merit at all, but it's creation was a linking in  ways that not many of the poems in this series have been. It started out with a couple of lines based on my favourite book- 
       Alice falling, Alice flying
       Alice laughing, Alice crying
which went nowhere and didn't quite make it, in that exact form, into the final piece. I had been intending to write a poem connected with Alice In Wonderland but nothing more came to me. What came next was the doodle from the book that I have been using to provide inspiration - a doodle of an old lady on a bench, looking half-mad and quite frail. It occurred to me that she might be a very different Alice, an Alice whose inner world was very different to that of the young heroine of the book. I drafted a couple of versions on that theme but I didn't like either of them.
Then I saw a teenage girl begging in a subway in Birmingham. She looked even frailer than the lady in the doodle. She may well have been trying to get money for drugs - she certainly looked ill enough. As I continued on my way home I speculated on how she had come to her current situation and the poem, as it finally appears above came to me almost complete. 
I juggled the order of the lines a little to create a sense of narrative and finally had it done. The poem connects Alice Through The Looking Glass, a random doodle in a book and the sad life of a teenage beggar. I don't know if it's successful or not - poets are not able to objectively appraise their own work - but I hope so.

And I hope it makes a connection with some of my readers.

8 comments:

David Love said...

This isn't easy for me to say but I think this is excellent. Believe it or not, I got it without any explanation as well, which is unusual for me.

Have you pinched it?

David

Bob Hale said...

The answer to that is that I don't think so. It does worry me thougfh because I too think it's excellent, far too good for me to have written it and I have had a crisis of confidence about whether or not I have ever seen something similar and been unconsciously influenced by it. I really hope not because I'd like to think I can write this well on my own.

David Love said...

I'm the same with tunes. If ever I come up with something decent I am waiting for someone to tell me where they've heard it before. This is especially the case if they come to you very quickly because you can't believe that your unconscious could have been processing it all so efficiently without external assistance.

I suppose sometimes we just have to accept the grim reality of our own unrecognised genius.

Bob Hale said...

Well I have googled all of the key phrases to find out if there is anything similar on the internet but only my own poem ever shows up so hopefully it really is my own.

At least, as you can see from my ramblings, this didn't come to me quickly.

Kalleh said...

It does seem vaguely familiar to me, but I can't put my finger on it. I very much like it, though. Let me ask my husband to look at it. I think he'd know.

David Love said...

There was some prayer I vaguely recall from school with a similar rhythm:

"God behind me, God beside me..." etc or something to that effect. I'm wondering if this was what seemed familiar to me. I think the fact that it sounds like something to be intoned helps.

It doesn't matter. If you've hit on something that sounds sort of familiar to everyone then you've struck gold. Well, you would have if you were Stock Aitken or Waterman. Sadly you're not.

David

Anonymous said...

Bob, Using the character of Alice In Wonderland has called upon the readers emotions, imagination and memories stored away from childhood into adulthood watching Alice films and reading the book in its many forms. Words like bleeding, needing and dying to name only a few are powerful words which may (as in my case) slowly call upon the readers own life memories, bang suddenly things become personal to the reader. Finally the last line snaps you out of Alices fictional world into reality, taking your breath away, almost imagining yourself in the underpass, away from the story book ending we all know and suddenly you feel cold, cars are flashing past you are vulnerable, not an emotion I've felt before when reading a poem, great. Apologies I know I sometimes view things differently and this is the joy of reading poems everyone can see what they want to see, for me
it is Alice through the looking glass to Alice begging in the underpass. Your Poem is smashing. Silvia.

Bob Hale said...

Thank you. Exactly the reaction I was hoping for. Occasionally I manage a good one.