Blog News

1. Comments are still disabled though I am thinking of enabling them again.

2. There are now several extra pages - Poetry Index, Travel, Education, Childish Things - accessible at the top of the page. They index entires before October 2013.

3. I will, in the next few weeks, be adding new pages with other indexes.

Tuesday 26 May 2009

DPRK: In the news

There can't be many people who are not aware of the DPRK's nuclear test this week. It's been roundly condemned by pretty much everybody, though I doubt most of the DPRK general public are aware of that. External news sources are pretty much non-existent in the country. The opposite isn't true though. On the BBC we saw a clip of the DPRK state broadcast announcing the news. I have no idea at all if the translation was accurate but that wasn't what interested me. I was fascinated by the DPRK announcer's voice which was shrieking and hysterical and bizarre in a lunatic-on-helium way.
I have, as you'll see in a couple of posts time, encountered this weird way of speaking in the DPRK before, from the announcer at the concert I attended at the State Symphony Hall. It struck me as ludicrously demented at the concert, as a style for reading the news it is quite the most bizarre thing I've seen in weeks.

No comments: