Blog News

1. Comments are still disabled though I am thinking of enabling them again.

2. There are now several extra pages - Poetry Index, Travel, Education, Childish Things - accessible at the top of the page. They index entires before October 2013.

3. I will, in the next few weeks, be adding new pages with other indexes.

Monday 14 September 2009

Eat Me!

I'm expecting my Alice in Wonderland collection to grow as rapidly as Alice herself in the near future. It's always a side effect of a new film about a popular character that there are large amounts of promotional material, magazine articles and such about it. The first that I have seen in printed form (as opposed to on the internet) for Tim Burton's forthcoming Alice movie is in this month's Fantastique. The article itself is reasonably interesting (without telling me very much that I didn't know already) and does contain printed versions of the publicity shots that were released from the production, including Johnny Depp's Mad Hatter on the cover. It's always nice to have stuff on nice glossy paper rather than just on the computer screen.
Anyway, the other thing that happens in these circumstances is that lots of other material becomes available, or becomes avaialable again. I've seen quite a few versions of the book that I already have reappear in the bookshops recently as well as a brand new version illustrated by Robert Ingpen which has some truly magnificent pencil and pastel artwork and, unlike many illustrated editions, has it in an abundance that would fill a gallery with some left over for the advertising posters.
I also picked up for a pound a DVD of an animated version I had never heard of. It's a very modern computer animated version from BKN which clocks in at 48 minutes. Like quite a lot of the cheaper versions it bears only a minimal resemblance to the Lewis Carroll originla and its simplistic computer animation has the look of a personal project about it. I can't complain for a pound, I suppose, though it's not a version destined to become a classic.

The Burton film isn't due until next March so I'm expecting a lot more stuff to become available soon, probably around Christmas. I suppose I ought to start allocating funds to collecting it all now.

No comments: