Blog News

1. Comments are still disabled though I am thinking of enabling them again.

2. There are now several extra pages - Poetry Index, Travel, Education, Childish Things - accessible at the top of the page. They index entires before October 2013.

3. I will, in the next few weeks, be adding new pages with other indexes.

Sunday 7 February 2010

Ongoing 20: She Isn't There

This is probably more of a song lyric than a poem, and it's a bit of a cheat in other ways too. I composed it in my head on the metro on the way to work. I wrote it down when I got to work. I tidied it up on the metro on the way home. Then I cheated, instead of following the sequence of doodles, as I have been doing so far, I skipped ahead in the doodles book to find one where it would fit. The one I found has a small drawing of Nelson in the bottom corner with a telescope to his eye looking at a blank page and saying "I see no ships."
So this poem wasn't inspired by the doodle but what the hell, it fits and I made the rules so I can break them.

She isn't there

From the corner of my eye
I thought I saw her passing by.
It should have come as no surprise
To turn my head and realise
She wasn't there.
In my dreams, I've often seen
The way I think things should have been
But as soon as morning breaks
I wake remembering my mistakes.
She isn't there.
Everything brings her to me
I see her face in every tree.
She's somewhere in every crowd
And her form's in every cloud.
But she isn't there.
I remember all we said
And where our darkest moments led.
The anger driving us apart
Was a stake through both our hearts.
She isn't there.
The last day that we spent
Had begun with good intent,
A pleasant walk beside the lake:
Who could know the turn we'd take.
She isn't there.
And then she was no more.
I was alone upon the shore
And the lake was dark and cold
And mute, it's tale untold.
She wasn't there.
I sometimes stand and look upon
The water where my love has gone.
Passing strangers stare at me.
They do not know, they cannot see.
She isn't there.

No comments: