Blog News

1. Comments are still disabled though I am thinking of enabling them again.

2. There are now several extra pages - Poetry Index, Travel, Education, Childish Things - accessible at the top of the page. They index entires before October 2013.

3. I will, in the next few weeks, be adding new pages with other indexes.

Monday 14 June 2010

Upstaged

On TV at the moment they are talking about people upstaging their friends by turning up as guests at their weddings wearing clothes that are more flamboyant and outrageous than the bride or groom.

It reminded me of my brother's wedding, many years ago. All the family were invited to both the wedding and the reception. One of them, one of my cousins, had a long way to come and didn't make it in time for the wedding or the start of the reception. He arrived part of the way through the reception as my brother was making his groom's speech.
Now, there are two things that you need to know. 
First, my brother is a very down to Earth kind of guy. At the time he was working in a double glazing factory, on the shop floor, and he had a lot of friends who were also quite down to Earth.
The second thing you need to know is that my cousin is gay. Quite flamboyantly gay.

As my brother was beginning his speech, the door to the banquetting hall opened and in walked my cousin. He was wearing white trousers with a thin dark stripe, a salmon pink blazer and a wide brimmed hat. All eyes turned from the stage to look at the newcomer. There was a moment of silence into which a loud voice from the audience dropped the comment
"F**k me, the cabaret's arrived."

My brother coughed to call attention back to the stage and declared, "Hands off him, he's my cousin."


No comments: