Blog News

1. Comments are still disabled though I am thinking of enabling them again.

2. There are now several extra pages - Poetry Index, Travel, Education, Childish Things - accessible at the top of the page. They index entires before October 2013.

3. I will, in the next few weeks, be adding new pages with other indexes.

Tuesday 23 June 2009

Metro Voices and walking round with my eyes closed

I've been asked to do another reading for City Voices. Well, not quite. There is a second regular venue opening up right in my home town of Bilston, Metro Voices. On Thursday 23rd July at 7:30 I will be reading selections from my descriptions of a recent visit to North Korea. Of course with the speed with which the situation over there is changing, I may have to rewrite it before then.

One interesting thing is the venue, the Cafe Metro. What's interesting is not only that I have never heard of it, but that when I looked it up it seems, according to the map to be no more than a dozen yards from my regular pub. This isn't the first time this has happened. Some time ago I was having a drink, and intending to have a meal, in that pub with some friends. Unfortunately there was a power cut so we had to change our plans. Another of my friends was coincidentally in the pub and he suggested that we should try an Indian restaurant on the High Street. I was unaware of any Indian restaurant on the High Street but sure enough, when we followed his directions, there was one. Granted it was hidden behind a fairly nondescript door in a fairly nondescript wall but it was there and I had walked past it thousands of times without noticing it.

I wonder how many other things there are that I have sleepwalked past all my life.

No comments: