Blog News

1. Comments are still disabled though I am thinking of enabling them again.

2. There are now several extra pages - Poetry Index, Travel, Education, Childish Things - accessible at the top of the page. They index entires before October 2013.

3. I will, in the next few weeks, be adding new pages with other indexes.

Monday 18 January 2010

Dilute according to taste: postscript

I actually took a homoeopathic remedy once.
It was while I was travelling. I was feeling very nauseous, a condition primarily caused by the consumption of rather a lot of beer the night before. Travelling in our group at the time were a couple who were into all this alternative therapies nonsense*. They had their homoeopathic remedies kit - dozens of little phials all labelled up with the names of the ingredients that they didn't actually contain.
As I wasn't feeling up to yet another argument about why it was all nonsense I took the perfectly harmless sugar pill that was offered.

Lo and behold, about six hours later, my hangover had gone. This was, I was solemnly informed, proof positive that I was wrong and that it does work. And who could possibly argue with that?

Now, can I interest anyone in my homoeopathic vodka? Guaranteed ten million doses in every glass.**



(*They were a perfectly ordinary, decent couple but some of their beliefs about medicine were off with the fairies. Homoeopathy, acupuncture, chiropracty, crystal healing, aromatherapy: you name it, they bought into it
** Although thinking about how homoeopathy is supposed to "work", homoeopathic vodka should sober you up rather than making you drunk, so it probably won't be a best seller.)

No comments: