Blog News

1. Comments are still disabled though I am thinking of enabling them again.

2. There are now several extra pages - Poetry Index, Travel, Education, Childish Things - accessible at the top of the page. They index entires before October 2013.

3. I will, in the next few weeks, be adding new pages with other indexes.

Saturday 20 April 2013

35 Days: 20 April-Poem #8 - Creatures of the Depths

I'm not really sure about today's poem. The picture prompt was a painting of some of the weird creatures that live in the deepest parts of the ocean but my metaphorical use seems a little contrived to me.

There are creatures in the depths that I cannot comprehend,

that are alien to me with lives I can't pretend

I shall ever understand no matter how I try.

I shall simply shake my head with a loud despairing sigh.

 

There are creatures in the depths that are strangers to the light

that are mysterious and different to any that I might

be able to explain by a deeper contemplation.

I shall simply shake my head and admit my admiration.

 

There are creatures in the depths that are quite beyond belief,

and though I catch a fleeting glance it simply is too brief

to form a good hypothesis of the nature of their lives.

I shall simply shake my head with a wonder that survives.

 

There are creatures in the depths, there are creatures in the dark

of whom I know so little it is folly to remark

that these things called "women" are a species far removed.

I shall simply shake my head till their benevolence is proved.