Blog News

1. Comments are still disabled though I am thinking of enabling them again.

2. There are now several extra pages - Poetry Index, Travel, Education, Childish Things - accessible at the top of the page. They index entires before October 2013.

3. I will, in the next few weeks, be adding new pages with other indexes.

Monday 22 April 2013

35 Days: 22 April-Poem #10 Storm


I'm a little unsure about this one. It would almost certainly be better as a prose piece but I was uninspired by the picture for today (of clouds) so I wrote about a true incident when I went for a walk on the South Downs and got caught in the rain.
It's a structural piece but not, I feel, an especially good one.
For what it's worth, here it is.

The morning that had begun warm
turned cooler,
then cloudy,
then showery..

I chose to cut my walk shorter
across the downs
towards the path
along the coast.

The decision was made too late
the rain came
came harder
came heavier

I tried to shelter in the lee
of a bush
at the side
of the path

Then I tried to run for the trees
huddled down
shortest route
dripping wet

And halfway to that better shelter
my phone rang
rang again
and again

And when at last I was there
pressed back
against the bark
under dripping leaves

I called you back with soaking hands
under a tree
in a storm
to just say "hi!"