Blog News

1. Comments are still disabled though I am thinking of enabling them again.

2. There are now several extra pages - Poetry Index, Travel, Education, Childish Things - accessible at the top of the page. They index entires before October 2013.

3. I will, in the next few weeks, be adding new pages with other indexes.

Sunday 22 February 2009

Alices In Wonderland: Part 29


The edition that I have illustrated by Alice Helena Watson has a single colour frontpiece and a lot of pencil drawings. There must however be another, later edition as this site shows. It is a different frontpiece, though the facing page is the same as in my copy. The publisher is Collins, 1957.
The illustrations, at first glance, seem rather primitive and unfinished, but it's deceptive. The economical pencil work gives a real sense of motion and the lines are very clean and subtle. The more I look at it the better I like it. Now if only I can find the edition with the other colour prints.

After releasing the pig-baby, Alice continues on her way. She meets the cat from the kitchen who is now sitting on the branch of a tree. It disappears and reappears a couple of times and they converse, predominantly about why everyone in wonderland is mad.

No comments: