Blog News

1. Comments are still disabled though I am thinking of enabling them again.

2. There are now several extra pages - Poetry Index, Travel, Education, Childish Things - accessible at the top of the page. They index entires before October 2013.

3. I will, in the next few weeks, be adding new pages with other indexes.

Saturday 21 February 2009

Statues

Quite a few of my friends, both real world and internet, are creative. Several of them have their own blogs and some of them include their own writings, prose and poetry. One of them, known to me via the OEDILF site has just included this poem on her blog.

When I read it I remembered that I have a poem about mimes.

I wrote it on a visit to Barcelona after a stroll along Las Ramblas. Anyone who has ever been there will be familiar the the phenomenon of "human statues". You see these in many places but from my experience Barcelona must be the "human statue" capital of the world.

I'm afraid mine is a little more cynical than Susan's, rather nicer and more lyrical, piece.

Every fifty feet or so
Another human statue
Waits for scattered money.
An angel and a devil,
Charlie Chaplin and a clown
But it really isn't funny.
Stationary and silent
A different kind of violence
It's a motionless assult.
With wallet kept in pocket
Suffering would be ended
It's really our own fault.
These people must be stopped.
This thing has gone too far.
We have to draw a line.
You may think they entertain
And choose to to part with cash
But they're having none of mine.

No comments: