Blog News

1. Comments are still disabled though I am thinking of enabling them again.

2. There are now several extra pages - Poetry Index, Travel, Education, Childish Things - accessible at the top of the page. They index entires before October 2013.

3. I will, in the next few weeks, be adding new pages with other indexes.

Sunday 25 October 2009

Curved Air at the Robin

Sonja Kristina may well be rather more Rubenesque than she once was. She may well dance about the stage like somebody's slightly mad granny after an afternoon at the cooking sherry. What's undeniable though, is that her voice is every bit as powerful as when I first heard Curved Air more than thirty years ago.
Maybe even more powerful.
Of course, with the exception of Florian Pilkington-Miksa on Drums, none of the other performers on stage at the Robin last night were part of that band - in spite of the name on the tickets. Darryl Way was billed to perform but was kept away by ill-health and replaced by Paul Sax on violin and Robert Norton on Keyboards. Chris Harris and Kit Morgan completed an excellent line up on bass and lead guitar.
None of which matters. What matters is what they sounded like and they sounded superb. Paul Sax made a particularly impressive figure on the violin but nobody put a note wrong all night in a set bursting with nostaligic favourites.
I came away wishing I'd never got rid of my albums when I had my big vinyl clearout a few years ago.

No comments: