Blog News

1. Comments are still disabled though I am thinking of enabling them again.

2. There are now several extra pages - Poetry Index, Travel, Education, Childish Things - accessible at the top of the page. They index entires before October 2013.

3. I will, in the next few weeks, be adding new pages with other indexes.

Saturday 23 July 2011

The Evil Empire

They used to refer to Microsoft as "The Evil Empire" but nowadays I'm pretty sure Google has taken the crown. The King is Dead, Long Live the King.

I've been on a bit of an anti-Google trip for the last couple of weeks, ever since I discovered that while I am here in Harrow using my gmail account is about as secure as posting all my private correspondence as full page adverts in a national newspaper.

The problem is straightforward but, as far as I've been able to determine, has no solution. I am teaching in a school where all the academic staff have a single common logon user and password. When I log on to use Gmail anyone else who logs on can see what I'm doing.

Worse than that is that if I forget to explicitly log out of every single site that uses my Google account password - which, incidentally includes all of my blogs - then my login remains active and even though I may have shut down the computer and gone for a walk anyone subsequently logging in still gets to see my emails.

This, I am told, is a feature to save me the trivial inconvenience of having to log in again when I get back.

Common login details are standard in all sorts of organisations. The lack of security beggars belief.

Why post now though?

I just watched the video about Google+ in this link and am truly appalled by the arrogance of it. The idea that everyone who uses any Google product will find themselves forced into being part of Google+ is monstrous.

Here's a quote "Google plus is in its early phases. Expect all of Google's many apps to continue to merge into their social network over time."

And here's another.

"You don't need to choose Google plus. Sooner or later you're going to end up using it."

I am very seriously considering switching my blogs, my RSS feeds and my email to other providers. The lack of security on the email horrifies me and the idea that when I log into ANYTHING that lack of security will carry through horrifies me even more.

Who's running this show? The Mekon?

No comments: