Blog News

1. Comments are still disabled though I am thinking of enabling them again.

2. There are now several extra pages - Poetry Index, Travel, Education, Childish Things - accessible at the top of the page. They index entires before October 2013.

3. I will, in the next few weeks, be adding new pages with other indexes.

Saturday 7 March 2009

Irregular Verbs I

A couple of years ago I had a student who had, from somewhere, got his hands on an old French-English dictionary. Included in it, as there often is, was a table of French and English irregular verbs. You will all have seen them often enough : take, took, have taken; speak, spoke, have spoken; that kind of thing.
Anyway, he was, completely against my advice as his teacher, trying to learn the entire list. From time to time he would wander up and ask me the meaning of a verb. They were always words that were rare, archaic or obsolete. I recall him asking me about forsake, abide and beseech, for example.

Now, for like minded students, for those who wish to learn every obscure and ancient irregular verb they can find, I have come across this on Lexiophiles, one of the blogs I subscribe to.

Learn them by all means but I beseech you forego the temptation to bestrew your your conversation with them so that you do not mischoose your terms.

No comments: