Blog News

1. Comments are still disabled though I am thinking of enabling them again.

2. There are now several extra pages - Poetry Index, Travel, Education, Childish Things - accessible at the top of the page. They index entires before October 2013.

3. I will, in the next few weeks, be adding new pages with other indexes.

Tuesday 24 March 2009

Stars und Sternchen

I occasionally read a number of online sites to practise my German and I was briefly diverted by this sentence.

In der Comedy-Reihe "Switch Reloaded" werden Stars und Sternchen aus dem Fernsehen parodiert.

Translated this means "In the comedy series 'Switch Reloaded' Stars and Starlets will be parodied on television."

What interested me was that "Stars" in the sense of TV stars was written as "Stars" (German for star, as in the sky, is Stern) but the diminutive form wasn't "Starchen" but "Sternchen" meaning "little stars".

I don't know why I found it interesting that the diminutive used the actual German word for "star" as its root while the non-diminutive was rendered in English - but as I say, I did find it briefly interesting.

No comments: