Blog News

1. Comments are still disabled though I am thinking of enabling them again.

2. There are now several extra pages - Poetry Index, Travel, Education, Childish Things - accessible at the top of the page. They index entires before October 2013.

3. I will, in the next few weeks, be adding new pages with other indexes.

Monday 23 August 2010

Just remembered this

At breakfast last week, the day after one of the awards ceremonies, I commented on how inappropriate the T-shirt of one of the prize-winners had been. (I still think a thirteen year old at a prize giving ceremony shouldn't be wearing a T-shirt emblazoned with the legend "Suck me off".)

However the point is that in our conversation I referred to it as "inappropriate wear", a perfectly commonplace idiom, only to be met with the reply that I couldn't use "wear" in that way. I was speaking with a colleague who is (and I hope he'll forgive me for saying so) an intelligent, well-educated, experienced, native-speaking English teacher and he said that he had never heard this use of "wear".
It didn't occur to me at the time to ask if he had heard of expressions such as "rainwear", "formal wear" or "evening wear".
It always strikes me as odd when I encounter such lexical gaps. Or am I mistaken. Is this a less commonplace use than I thought?

2 comments:

andrew said...

i can't remember if that was me or not. or whether I was just wear.

Bob Hale said...

Don't forget I still ned your email address.