Blog News

1. Comments are still disabled though I am thinking of enabling them again.

2. There are now several extra pages - Poetry Index, Travel, Education, Childish Things - accessible at the top of the page. They index entires before October 2013.

3. I will, in the next few weeks, be adding new pages with other indexes.

Sunday 8 August 2010

Newspeak: British Art Now: Part 1 - Overall impressions and the gallery space.

I'm going to do a lengthy series of posts about the exhibition because I really enjoyed it and don't want to do it a disservice by rushing. There are three things I want to comment on, the art itself, the gallery space and the picture by picture guide to the exhibition. This latter is such a remarkable piece of work that I shall discuss it separately in a series of posts entitle "Artspeak".
I'm sure that you will look forward to it.

First a word about the gallery. It is quite simply one of the best designed, best laid out, best lit art spaces I have seen in London. The lighting has a natural quality that enhances the art. The galleries are spacious and the artworks given enough room to allow the art-lovers to stand and gaze as long as they wish. Ten out of ten for the space. The art is more of a mixed bag as you would expect from an exhibition that includes thirty very diverse artists in thirteen galleries. There is art I like and art I don't like and there is art I understand and art I don't understand. Here we had every possibly permutation of those things. For example I still don't understand the thinking behind Richard Wilson's oil filled rooms but I absolutely love them. On the other hand I understood the architectural drawings of Pablo Bronstein but didn't much like them. I'll give more detail in other posts but my overall impression was of a day very well spent.

Definitely not for those who think art has to be paintings of things, though.

No comments: