Blog News

1. Comments are still disabled though I am thinking of enabling them again.

2. There are now several extra pages - Poetry Index, Travel, Education, Childish Things - accessible at the top of the page. They index entires before October 2013.

3. I will, in the next few weeks, be adding new pages with other indexes.

Sunday 9 May 2010

Glacial? Hardly seems an adequate word.

And after I'd had the treat of the "After Eight Eater", I did of course settle down to watch The Prisoner. If there is any slower and more ponderous show in the history of television I'm glad I don't know about it. I'm interested enough in the story but the pace is so slow that the usual adjective of "glacial" isn't nearly damning enough. It makes the progress of an average glacier look like Formula One Motor Racing. My DVD player has a neat little feature that lets you watch and hear a recording at one and a half times normal speed. I did and it still struggled along so slowly that it was very hard to tell the difference. After the forty minutes of watching it I felt as if it had been on for a week.

It's a curse that seems to afflict many of the modern dramas that we import from the US but none of them suffer quite so badly as The Prisoner.

No comments: