Blog News

1. Comments are still disabled though I am thinking of enabling them again.

2. There are now several extra pages - Poetry Index, Travel, Education, Childish Things - accessible at the top of the page. They index entires before October 2013.

3. I will, in the next few weeks, be adding new pages with other indexes.

Sunday 9 May 2010

Mantra Politics

One thing was clear from the election debates. Soundbite politics appears to have been replaced by Mantra politics, with each of the leaders repeating their own little "Om" over and over.

Nick Clegg's mantra was "They represent the old politics".
Gordon Brown's mantra was "I agree with Nick. Nick agrees with me."
David Cameron's mantra was "I was talking to a man".

The "I agree with Nick"  phrase seems to have already taken on an independent life thanks to the number of comedians, satirists and political opponents who have seized upon it. I wouldn't be surprised to see it entering the language as a set phrase meaning something like "I'm going to say I agree with someone because it's expedient to do so".
Personally though I prefer David Cameron's "I was talking to a man" because it reminds me so much of an old comment from QI.

Alan Davies:   Why is everything I know wrong?
Bill Bailey*:  Because everything you know you learned from a bloke in the pub.

Our political leaders might do well to remember that the  bloke in the pub isn't always right.

(*I may be misattributing, it could have been one of the other guests. The point remains germane.)

2 comments:

Friko said...

sorry about unfollowing you, nothing personal.
Just tidying up.

I still enjoy your blog; it's gone into my 'Bookmarks' now. The thing is, there are so many blogs I enjoy, only some of which i follow and comment on. What is needed to push followers into active service is a smidgeon of feedback. Occasionally.

Bob Hale said...

No worries. The blog is mostly for my own personal amusement. Followers are a bonus.