Blog News

1. Comments are still disabled though I am thinking of enabling them again.

2. There are now several extra pages - Poetry Index, Travel, Education, Childish Things - accessible at the top of the page. They index entires before October 2013.

3. I will, in the next few weeks, be adding new pages with other indexes.

Tuesday 4 January 2011

Well I'd call it a scam.

Last month I inadvertently went over the limit on my credit card by a couple of quid. My fault entirely,  I accepted that I'd done it and that I'd have to pay the £12 overlimit fee. This month my bill is a very long way from being over the limit but the fee appears again. I queried it. And that's where the devil is in the detail. The statements run from 16th of the month to 15th of the following month. Their call off date for a direct debit payment is 30th of the month. This ensures that if you you over your limit it appears on two consecutive statements and effectively doubles the overlimit fee to £24. It's all there in the small print of the agreement. You can, apparently, when you receive the first notification call them and authorise a separate early payment. That too is in the small print somewhere. I had assumed that because I pay off the whole bill every month by direct debit the fee would be taken care of but the clever business with the dates means that I have to pay it again.

Incidentally they have, after a very long argument on the phone agreed to refund the second fee. The only problem is that I was on hold for so long that the telephone call will cost as much as the refund. It's a mistake I won't be making again.

No comments: