Blog News

1. Comments are still disabled though I am thinking of enabling them again.

2. There are now several extra pages - Poetry Index, Travel, Education, Childish Things - accessible at the top of the page. They index entires before October 2013.

3. I will, in the next few weeks, be adding new pages with other indexes.

Sunday 23 August 2009

Frontwards, backwards, sideways

I have been taken to task for my assertion that in British homes the Front Room faces backwards. John, my regular drinking buddy, asserts that this is not so. I can only say that in his experience it isn't and in mine it is. As I walk around my street in the wee small hours, the lit room is the one facing the road. The room where we invite guests, called the "front room" faces away from the road.

I don't know if this is a regional thing or a class thing, or connected with the specific 1950s design of semi-detached houses, or what it is, but it is a fact that if you walk around the area where I live you will see that everyone lives in the room that faces the road and that the room at the back, facing the garden, is kept for "best".

Comments from other British readers who can add something to this puzzle are requested.

1 comment:

robert said...

Wonder which categorie my 'lemon tree house' would fit in, as its living-room faces the street, behind the garden, which is in front of our house.
Maybe time for a couple of Guinness :)