Blog News

1. Comments are still disabled though I am thinking of enabling them again.

2. There are now several extra pages - Poetry Index, Travel, Education, Childish Things - accessible at the top of the page. They index entires before October 2013.

3. I will, in the next few weeks, be adding new pages with other indexes.

Saturday 22 August 2009

Walking In My Mind

Finally, we have the missing work from the 19th. The display still isn't perfect. Click on each of the four floorplans to get a larger, more readable image. Depending on your computer you may or may not then be able to use Control and + or Control and - to change he image size.

There are notes below the pictures which should be considered as part of the work, not separate from it. Working down from the top we have the attic, the upstairs, the downstairs and the cellar.



The Hall is as far as most people reach, the face that most people see, a superficial, surface image. It is the friendly face presented to the world. It is sunshine on the rippling pond. It is the coat of paint on the rotten wood of the garden fence. It is not who I am, it is who you think I am.

The Front Room (which in most British Houses is usually at the back, which is the case here) is the nice room where we take important visitors. It is decorated in the taste we wish the world to believe we have. It is our best face, our Sunday Clothes, the silver cutlery and best china only brought out to make an impression. It is not who I am, it is not who I want to be, it is who I want you to think I am.

The Living Room is where we are comfortable, where we surround ourselves with the things that make us happy, where we are most like the people we really are. It is comfortable slippers and a warm cup of cocoa. It is a relaxing armchair in familiar surroundings. It is not who I am, it is who I am comfortable being.

The Kitchen is where everything is cooked, the ideas factory for trying out new recipes. It is the melting pot for the influences and associations of the world around us. It is the big bowl where everything gets mixed up and baked (or half-baked) thoughts and ideas come out the other side. It is not who I am, it is how I become who I am.

The Master Bedroom is where I think the thoughts that make me human, where I dream the dreams, hope the hopes and wish the wishes. Dreams and hopes and wishes change as often as the posters that hang on the bedroom wall.Nothing is constant. It is not who I am, it is all of who I was and who I will be.

The Guest Bedroom is a space reserved for visitors who never come. No one: not family, not friends, not lovers ever comes to visit. No one can enter my mind but me. The room remains empty and unvisited. It is not who I am, it is how I am.

The Bathroom and Toilet is where all the dirty and detritus and faecal matter eventual goes. Theodore Sturgeon said "nine per cent of everything is crud". Or he may have said "crap", sources vary. He was right though. It is not who I am, it is the ninety percent of who I was that was worthless.

The Attic is where all the lost things go. It is the room for broken dreams and broken toys. It is where the things that were once important, once loved, once part of life have been put away to be forgotten, to be occasionally examined in the flashlight of nostalgia and then discarded once again. It is not who I am, it is who I might have been.

The Cellar is locked. It is where the bad things are kept, where the bodies are buried. It is the antithesis of the attic. It is a place of regrets, a place of sorrows. It is not who I am, it is who I am ashamed to be.

The House is who I am.

----------------------------------------------

And this of course is all self-indulgent, pretentious twaddle. But then again, that is what I promised you and I am nobody if not a man of my word.

2 comments:

robert said...

Having much pleasure in the 'waiting' for this walk, stepping through it, was kind of 'plesaure³'.
Allow me to save them and to read them again and again and again.

Bob Hale said...

Please feel free. All I ever ask is that if anyone keeps my stuff or shows it to anyone else they credit it to me, which I'm sure you'd do anyway.

Keep a copy, append my name and enjoy.