Blog News

1. Comments are still disabled though I am thinking of enabling them again.

2. There are now several extra pages - Poetry Index, Travel, Education, Childish Things - accessible at the top of the page. They index entires before October 2013.

3. I will, in the next few weeks, be adding new pages with other indexes.

Monday 14 December 2009

Ongoing 7

Note Posts in this series are now numbered after one of my very small number of readers mentioned that he was missing them because he didn't realise that new ones were being posted.

Better, John?



A slightly more serious and sensible poem for the next one, only partly inspired by the next picture in the book. It's a double page picture of hot air balloons which reminded me of my visit to Oludeniz in Turkey.

How easily they have broken the chains
That tied them to the shattered ground;
Slipped free of grasping gravity;
Left the yellow Earth
To skim the tops of scrubby trees.
Each takes its brighter shade
Away to the hills.
They diminish until nothing remains
But the memory of them all around.
Silence pours now into the cavity
Into the void, into the dearth
Where they vanished by degrees.
As I watched their airy presence fade,
I felt the morning chills.