Blog News

1. Comments are still disabled though I am thinking of enabling them again.

2. There are now several extra pages - Poetry Index, Travel, Education, Childish Things - accessible at the top of the page. They index entires before October 2013.

3. I will, in the next few weeks, be adding new pages with other indexes.

Wednesday 2 December 2009

To Put Away Childish Things #4


Da da dee da deeee daa, da da da dee da da da da deee

Ah I can see it now, waves breaking in glorious monochrome on an empty and decidedly untropical beach*, not unlike the one at Rhyl where we spent so many childhood holidays; captions appearing on the screen - "The Adventures of Robinson Crusoe", "starring Robert Hoffman"; the swelling strings sounding for all the world like a stretched and slipping audio tape as the notes wowed and fluttered their way through the opening credits and under the voiced-over narrative. Yes it was summer holiday time and the apparently interminable Robinson Crusoe was on daily throughout the whole six weeks. Though it seems from my brief researching that there were only thirteen episodes, my memory is that not only was it on every summer, and every day of every summer it lasted so long that I had always gone back to school before managing to see the end of it. There must have been, my memory tells me, falsely , dozens and dozens of episodes. And I really never did see the final one. For all I know poor old Robinson is probably still on the island now, patiently waiting for me to buy the DVD and watch the end.
Children's television in those days was very different to now and the summer holiday schedules were repeated year after year. I'd outgrown the childishness of Watch With Mother (Andy Pandy, The Woodentops**, Tales of the Riverbank et al) and moved on to the altogether more sophisticated continental fare of Robinson Crusoe, The Singing Ringing Tree, White Horses. They were all bought in from overseas (usually Germany, but in the case of Robinson Crusoe it was France), all very badly dubbed into English, all filling the endless rainy days of my early holidays.
But it's that musical score that sticks most in the memory***. It was hypnotic and the frequency of the episodes and the fact that it played throught most of the running time in the background drilled it so solidly into my brain that if I live to be a thousand it will never be forgotten. More than anyhting else it is the soundtrack of my early years. Even now writing about it, I find I am uncontrollably humming "da da da da deeeee daa". I'll probably be unable to sleep tonight as it rattles around in my head.

* though the beach itself was, apparently, in Gran Canaria

** and I still remember the "biggest spottiest dog you ever did see" with a great deal of fondness.


*** and it seems I'm not the only one, Art of Noise covered one of the other "popular" sections of the soundtrack.

7 comments:

Marie said...

Do you remember The Flashing Blade? I'm 99.9% sure you'll remember Fireball XL5. You've just reminded me of a 'heated debate' about the opening credits to both shows having the same tune with different words. I was singing the Fireball XL5 tune 'I wish I was a spaceman ...' and was rudely interrupted by 'You've got to fight for what you want ...'. One to check on YouTube perhaps?

Bob Hale said...

The title rings a bell but I can't say that I remember Flashing Blade. Fireball XL5 on the other hand I remember clearly. I may make it the subject of my next Childish Things blog.

Thanks for looking in.

On our way home. (Robert the Robot)

Bob Hale said...

PS I checked it out. The two theme songs are in a similar style and have similar synthesiser breaks but the tunes and rhythms are quite different.

Marie said...

Mitigating circumstances:
1) we were in the pub = drinking beer
2) it was a long time after having seen either program
3) no internet connection in aforesaid pub and probably a long time before Youtube!

I have got a CD of cult sci-fi film/tv themes. My two favourites are Space 1999 and UFO - cheesetastic themes.

David Love said...

Wasn't it more

Da dah da dah da daaaaah
Da dah da daah da dah da dah daah
Da dah da dah da daaaaah
Da dah da daah da dah da dah daah

Da dah dah da dah
Da dah dah da dah
Da dah dah da dah dah da dah
Da dah dah da dah
Da dah dah da dah
Da dah dah da dah dah da dah

Da dah da dah da daaaaah
Da dah da daah da dah da dah daah
Da dah da dah da daaaaah
Da dah da daah da dah da dah daah ?

Memory could be playing tricks.

Bob Hale said...

You're the musician, not me. :)

David Love said...

No. I've been losing sleep about this. I think it is clearer in the style of Cleo Lane.

Doobey di doobey dooh,
Doobey di doobey, doobey do dooh:
Doobey di doobey dooh,
Doobey di doobey, doobey do dooh.

Doobey de doobey.
Doobey de doobey.
Doobey de doobey doobey.
Doobey de doobey.
Doobey de doobey.
Doobey de doobey doobey.

Doobey di doobey dooh,
Doobey di doobey, doobey do dooh:
Doobey di doobey dooh,
Doobey di doobey, doobey do dooh.

That's just buggered up another tea break!