Blog News

1. Comments are still disabled though I am thinking of enabling them again.

2. There are now several extra pages - Poetry Index, Travel, Education, Childish Things - accessible at the top of the page. They index entires before October 2013.

3. I will, in the next few weeks, be adding new pages with other indexes.

Friday 13 May 2011

Well, it's about time...

You may have noticed that blogger has been down for over a day. There's been rather a lot of discussion about it among the users of the system. Well I have enough experience in IT  to know that bad stuff happens and sometimes it takes time to fix it.

That I don't mind.

I was also prepared for the possibility of lost data. In the end I lost one small post and two associated comments. It was nothing very clever anyway so no big deal.*

The one thing that did annoy me was the almost total lack of information coming out of blogger. Their policy when system failures happen appears to be in two parts. Part one: tell you there has been a system failure. Part two: tell you when it's been fixed. In the gap between parts one and two they seem reluctant to tell you anything at all. I worked in IT for long enough to know that you can't always say exactly how long a fix will take but some information, however broad brush, would divert the flood of angry comments that have been floating around.

Blogger Customer Services need to pick up their ideas a bit.

On the plus side, while it was down I sent in the previous post via email. I am pleased to report that not only did it work but it preserved the layout as I'd intended it, something I wasn't certain would happen.

(*The post really wasn't worth reposting - so I haven't.)


No comments: